Please note, MetroHealth will continue to monitor all available information, and, this is subject to change at any time. Students ability to participate in a rotation will be contingent on any restrictions that MetroHealth may put in place due to COVID-19.
Prerequisites for Participation
Visiting medical students may apply for electives no sooner than four months prior to completion of all third year requirements.
Applications must include:
- USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX score
- Proof of completion of Core Clinical Clerkships prior to the participation in the elective rotation program
- Proof of good standing at their home school
- Proof of school's approval to participate in the desired elective
- Proof of 4th year status at the time of their elective rotation
- Background check, drug screen and health requirements must meet the requirements set forth in the Trainee Background & Health requirements
MetroHealth Medical Center utilizes the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to receive visiting student applications. Applications may be submitted through VSAS starting March 21. To apply to our institution, please complete an application in VSAS for your preferred electives and dates in accordance with the academic schedule. For more information, please visit VSAS or contact VSAS at [email protected] or 202-478-9878.
Students from Caribbean schools accredited by the Caribbean Accreditation Authority for Education in Medicine and Other Health Professions (CAAM-HP), please complete the Medical Student Elective Application to apply for a 4th year elective or AI at MetroHealth.
Guidelines for Completing and Submitting your Paper Application
- The application must contain all of the requested information from both the student and the medical school Dean from the student's school before the application will be considered. Your Dean's office must verify Core Clerkships completed.
- There is a non-refundable application fee per elective ($150 for a 4-week rotation). The fee should not be paid until the elective has been confirmed and you receive instructions for payment from the GME office.
- If you are accepted for a rotation, you will receive a confirmation email. Completing an application does not constitute acceptance of the requested rotation.
- You will have one week after confirmation to submit payment (credit card only). Payment is non-refundable. If payment is not received within one week, the spot will be relinquished. Payment can be made online. Do not make payment until instructed to do so by the GME office.
- If all required documentation is not submitted at the time of application, the process will be delayed. We will not notify you of any missing documents.
- Registration for an elective at MetroHealth Medical Center will be confirmed after the appropriate application materials have been received and approved. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- MetroHealth offers 4th year rotations only.
- Electives are filled on a space-available basis. Due to limited availability, MetroHealth has the right to limit the number of rotations per student.