Residents will gain clinical, research and educational expertise at three institutions – MetroHealth Medical Center, Cleveland Clinic, and Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine -- as part of our Emergency Medicine Residency Program.
MetroHealth Medical Center
- The Trauma Program has been verified as a Level 1 Adult Trauma Center and a Level 2 Trauma Center with a pediatric commitment.
- The hospital has been verified as a Level 1 Burn Care Center from the American College of Surgeons/American Burn Association.
- Metro Life Flight has provided more than 90,000 flights over 30+ years and has three EC 145 helicopters, two ground units and one fixed wing aircraft.
- MetroHealth has multiple ICUs for neonates, adult-medical, pediatric, cardiac, surgical, trauma and burns.
- Certified by The Joint Commission as a Comprehensive Stroke Center, the first in Northeastern Ohio to earn the designation.
- Rehabilitation Center is one of 14 federally-designed model centers for the treatment of spinal cord injuries.
- Magnet status nursing designation
- In July 2016, expanded Critical Care Pavilion with 100,000 square-foot, two-story addition providing 85 new state-of-the-art patient rooms for intensive care and critical patients.
- Department of Emergency Medicine highlights:
- Busiest Emergency Department in Northeast Ohio, treating more than 105,000 patients annually in a 96 bed ED with 14 bed observation unit (17 percent pediatric patients; 3 percent critical care patients)
- Emergency Department patients account for about 14 percent of all hospital admissions (with 21 percent of those patients admitted to intensive care units)
- Medical command/base station for Cleveland EMS
- Received a Safety Net Award from NAPH (National Association of Public Hospitals and Health Systems) for "Improving the Patient Experience"
- Offers a range of clinical pathology cases from around the world, from routine to the rare and complex
- 954-bed tertiary care international referral center
- More than 100 specialties and more than 1,000 staff physicians
- Cleveland Clinic is an International leader in cardiac surgery, transplantation, and clinical research and specialists performed the world's first cardiac catheterization and bypass graft surgery
- JCAHO Primary Stroke Center
- Ranked 2nd among 4,667 hospitals nationwide by U.S. News & World Report’s “2016-2017 Best Hospital” and ranked #1 for cardiac care 22 consecutive years
- Emergency Services Institute highlights
- > 60,000 patients annually in 40 bed Emergency Department with 14 bed observation unit (9 percent pediatric and 4 percent critical care)
Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- Case Western is a recognized as leader and innovator in medical education
- Residency Program is designed to train graduates in a combination of clinical and research skills
- Largest biomedical research institution in Ohio, measured by funding received from the National Institutes of Health
- All residency faculty hold academic appointments and are part of the teaching staff