Diversity and Inclusion Scholarship
MissionTo continually improve the health of our community and its diverse populations by fostering an inclusive and engaging workforce, which delivers the highest quality of care to people representing all dimensions of diversity. We are committed to developing our workforce to reflect the considerable diversity of our patient population. This is especially important in the emergency department as we are often the “face” of the healthcare system for many of the medically underserved.
In an effort to recruit residents from across the country from diverse backgrounds, the MetroHealth Department of Emergency Medicine is pleased to offer an Acting Internship (AI) scholarship to under-represented minority medical students. The scholarship provides $2,000 to cover the costs of travel, lodging, and other expenses associated with the 4-week rotation in Cleveland, Ohio.
EligibilityApplicants must be rising or current fourth year medical students from under-represented backgrounds (racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, gender identification) in good academic standing currently enrolled in accredited United States medical schools located outside of Northeast Ohio who plan on entering into a career in emergency medicine.
How to Apply
Applicants must apply for the rotation via VSLO.
Required application items include:
- personal statement (Why Metro?)
- USMLE Step 1
- drug screen & background check
- attestation of academic standing
- AAMC Standard Immunization Statement
In addition, please email the following short essays to Dr. Sandy Najarian at [email protected].
- Describe how your status as an under-represented minority in medicine has impacted your medical education and/or experiences within healthcare? (250 words or less)
- Describe your past activities and future plans to advance diversity, equity, and inclusion in medicine. (250 words or less)
Applications are due 60 days before the start of the rotation. Applicants are encouraged to apply as early as possible as positions fill quickly.