International Trainees

If you will be requiring a visa, it is very important that you contact our Director of Graduate Medical Education to obtain information for visa sponsorship at MetroHealth. Email us as soon as possible to avoid any delays in your visa processing.

Visa Information

MetroHealth will sponsor H-1B temporary worker or J-1 exchange visitor (alien physician category – sponsored by the ECFMG) visas for graduate medical education purposes (residency or fellowship). We also allow International students enrolled in U.S. medical schools to use the post-graduate year of Optional Practical Training (OPT) for the first year of residency training. Your Designated School Official (DSO) at your medical school can assist you with this process.  

Social Security

MetroHealth is required to maintain a copy of each trainee's Social Security information. 

The Social Security Administration (SSA) allows you to apply for a Social Security Number immediately after your arrival in the U.S. The U.S. Citizenship & Immigration Service (USCIS) and/or U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) should have your updated information in their databases. The SSA will verify your non-immigrant status in these databases when processing your application.

Call the Social Security Administration Office at 800-772-1213, 7 a.m. – 7 p.m. (EST) Monday – Friday (closed federal holidays). Information is recorded and is available by touch-tone phone 24 hours a day, including weekends and holidays.

How to Apply for a Social Security Card

  • You must appear in person for an interview at a Social Security Office.
  • Complete an Application for a Social Security Card (Form SS-5).
  • Show documents proving your U.S. citizenship (or immigration status and work eligibility; e.g., passport, Immigration and Naturalization Service (INS) documents and visa-related documents such as Form I-94 and Form I-797 or DS2019); age; and identity. All documents must be either originals or copies certified by the issuing agency. Photocopies or notarized copies of documents are not accepted. 
  • Non-citizens who have permission to work from the Department of Homeland Security can apply for a Social Security card. The Social Security office will verify your documents with the Department of Homeland Security.

Drivers License

A driver’s license is issued by the Ohio Bureau of Motor Vehicles (BMV) via an office in the Ohio county in which you live. Find the office closest to your home by visiting the Bureau of Motor Vehicles website. 

Passport and Required Forms

You will need to bring your passport, Form I-94 and Form I-797 or DS2019. You will also need a letter from the GME Department. A letter will be supplied with at least 24 hours notice.