Preparing Students for Their Postgraduate Experience
Through more than 25 medical specialties, students learn the practice of medicine in a renowned working environment.
For more information, please email us.
Medical Student Information
Thank you for your interest in the MetroHealth Medical Student Elective Program. We take enormous pride in the training of our medical students. One of our most important guiding principles as a well-respected institution is to maintain excellence in teaching and research. It is here where students can learn the practice of medicine through a progressive team in a renowned working environment. Through more than 25 medical specialties, students are well-prepared for their postgraduate experience. We are able to offer one of the most unique learning experiences with a diverse patient demographic in a group practice setting.
Not only does our faculty provide students with the appropriate skills and experience necessary to succeed in medicine, but an amicable and dedicated Graduate Medical Education staff provides excellent service and guidance to medical students. The medical student specialist in the Graduate Medical Education Office processes student applications, schedules rotations, administrates weekly orientation, follows up on evaluations of completed rotations, and is available on campus to answer individual questions or concerns that may arise throughout a student's experience.
When students choose the MetroHealth Medical Student Elective Program, they are given the opportunity to succeed in one of the best programs in Ohio. Our team provides students with a robust didactic in medicine and works to maintain a great learning atmosphere for all students.
Please note, being accepted for an AI or elective does not guarantee a residency interview.
Information on electives can be found throughout this website or by contacting Kim Hatch at [email protected]. If you are mailing your application, all required documents should be sent to:
MetroHealth Medical Center
Graduate Medical Education – Room A107
Attention: Kim Hatch
2500 MetroHealth Drive
Cleveland, OH 44109-1998
How to Apply
Prerequisites for Participation
Visiting medical students may apply for electives no sooner than four months prior to completion of all third year requirements.
Applications must include:
- USMLE Step 1 or COMLEX score
- Proof of completion of Core Clinical Clerkships prior to the participation in the elective rotation program
- Proof of good standing at their home school
- Proof of school's approval to participate in the desired elective
- Proof of required immunizations and current TB test
- Proof of 4th year status at the time of their elective rotation
- Letter from medical school attesting to the presence of a valid, clear background check
MetroHealth Medical Center utilizes the Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS) to receive visiting student applications. Applications may be submitted through VSAS starting April 15. To apply to our institution, please complete an application in VSAS for your preferred electives and dates in accordance with the academic schedule. For more information on VSAS, please visit www.aamc.org/vsas or contact VSAS at [email protected] or 202-478-9878.
For students of LCME Recognized Caribbean Medical Schools, download and print the Medical Student Elective Application for a fourth-year elective at MetroHealth.
Guidelines for Completing and Submitting your Application
- The application must contain all of the requested information from both the student and the medical school Dean from the student's school before the application will be considered. Your Dean's office must verify Core Clerkships completed.
- There is a non-refundable application fee per elective ($150 for a 4-week rotation). The fee should not be paid until the elective has been confirmed and you receive instructions for payment from the GME office.
- If you are accepted for a rotation, you will receive a confirmation email. Completing an application does not constitute acceptance of the requested rotation.
- You will have one week after confirmation to submit payment (credit card only). Payment is non-refundable. If payment is not received within one week, the spot will be relinquished. Payment can be made online. Do not make payment until instructed to do so by the GME office.
- If all required documentation is not submitted at the time of application, the process will be delayed. We will not notify you of any missing documents.
- Registration for an elective at MetroHealth Medical Center will be confirmed after the appropriate application materials have been received and approved. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- MetroHealth offers electives only.
- Electives are filled on a space-available basis. Due to limited availability, MetroHealth has the right to limit the number of rotations per student.
Malpractice and/or General Liability Insurance is not provided to visiting medical/dental students through the MetroHealth Medical Center or Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine. THIS MUST BE PROVIDED BY THE STUDENT OR HIS/HER MEDICAL/DENTAL SCHOOL. The limits of liability must be no less than $1,000,000 per occurrence / 3,000,000 annual aggregate. A Certificate of Insurance MUST accompany your application.
Cancellation of Participation by a Student
All visiting students are asked to remember that schedules for House Staff and Attending Physician are planned several months in advance. Final confirmation of acceptance is binding, unless unforeseen circumstances make participation impossible; should this happen, students must notify the Graduate Medical Education Office at MetroHealth Medical Center immediately of their inability to participate.